Monday, February 21, 2011

Three months and her first cold

Aliora turned three months old on Saturday. It may not seem like a long time but I feel like it was just last week that we were learning to swaddle, struggling with breastfeeding, waiting for that first smile. Now that she sleeps well, eats well, and lights up smiling when she sees us, it makes all the hard work worth it. She has even treated us to a few 10:30pm to 5am stretches of sleep.

But now our bit of baby bliss has hit its first bump. After last evening's nap, she woke up congested and sniffly. No fever, not even much of a cough. She seemed alright and continued to eat and sleep like her usual self, except for the runny nose. The picture below is from this morning. With that gummy smile, you wouldn't have guessed that she had just sneezed out a hugemongous, pale yellow glob.

Fast forward to me getting home from work. The report from Grampy and Grammy is that she ate really well during he day, but just threw up most of her last meal right before I got home. After a bit of inquiry, I discover that it's because they overfed her a bit during the last feeding and thankfully not from being sick. Still no fever but the congestion is worse. I decide to try saline drops and the nose bulb before feeding her to try to help clear her up a bit. This only resulted in a screaming, angry baby. She did eventually eat and settle down on and off during the evening. She snoozed long enough for us to have dinner. I fed her again and she usually goes to bed right after but I think she was swallowing a lot of air from having to breathe through her mouth so much and it made her uncomfortable. I snuggled her close and we both snoozed on the couch together for a bit while Papa did some work. After another round of fussing and calming, she is now in her crib, with one end of the mattress slightly elevated to help keep the congestion down, and so far sound asleep. I only hope that I didn't push my luck with this post (when I should have been sleeping) and she doesn't wake up early!



No comments:

Post a Comment